Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Julie & Julia


I just watched the movie, "Julie & Julia."  I loved it!  Who would've thought that?  I certainly didn't.  I was in no hurry to see this movie.  I did not go see it in the theatre and I rented it simply as an afterthought.  In fact, we just purchased a Blu-Ray player and "Julie & Julia" was one of the few movies the local Blockbuster had on Blu-Ray disc.  So, I decided to rent it.  I'm so glad that I did.

I can't say that I am a fan of Julia Child.  Of course, I heard of her before.  I knew that she cooked.  That was about it.  So, when I heard about the movie, it didn't interest me.  I thought that it was kinda weird that someone would want to cook all of her recipes in a year.  It turns out that it was far from weird.  It was inspiring.

I remember the year that I turned 29.  What a pivotal year!  I thought...what am I doing with my life?  What do I want to do?  Have I accomplished the things that I want to or am I even close?  Julie Powell asked herself the same things.  She decided that she needed to do something.  She wanted to be a writer and she liked to cook.  Voila - write about cooking!  It worked for her and it has worked for me, too.

When I did my soul-searching at age 29, I liked what I saw.  However, there were some voids I needed to fill.  I thought about what I like to do.  I like to read.  I have always wanted to be my own boss.  Voila - I opened an online bookstore.  I love my store.  I have had various ups and downs, but who doesn't??  I'm glad that I took charge of my life just like Julie.

This movie spoke to me in ways that I never imagined.  Besides the deeper meaning, I found it quite entertaining.  Definitely a chick flick, though.  I'm glad I didn't rent it for movie night with hubby. : )  Now I am inspired to do greater things.  I can't wait to read the books that this movie was based on - "My Life in France" by Julia Child and "Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell.  Both boks are on sale at http://www.thequalitycorner.com/.

No comments: