Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Secret Obsession" by Kimberla Lawson Roby

Kimerberla Lawson Roby has just released her latest riveting novel, Secret Obsession. In it she explores a very complicated illness - delusional disorder. Delusion has been defined as "a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact." A person that is delusional is beyond reasonableness and sensibleness. It is a very dangerous state that can lead to obsession.


Paige Donahue is a picture of obsession. She has always lived in the shadow of her sister, Camille and Paige is consumed with jealousy. Camille has always excelled and she now has everything that Paige wants - a loving husband, children and all of the material comforts the world has to offer. Paige becomes obsessed with ruining her sister's marriage and gaining the love of her brother-in-law. She develops a plan, puts it in motion and is determined to let nothing or no one stand in her way.

Roby does an excellent job painting a picture of desperation in the main character. I could feel the utter hopelessness in Paige and she sincerely felt that there was only one solution - to ruin her sister. As I read this story, I could clearly see that Paige was delusional and I wondered how someone could be so far from reality. Roby really grips the mind and heart of the reader.

I was so enthralled with this novel, I couldn't put it down. I read it quickly and eagerly. I couldn't wait to find out how Paige's plan turned out. This book was very entertaining and it also made me think. It was very tastefully written and maintained dignity throughout. I would recommend this novel to anyone who would like to curl up with a good book this fall.

Save with Amazon coupons

No comments: