Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book Review - "Room" by Emma Donoghue

Excellent.  Intriguing.  Masterful.  Imaginative.  These are just some of the words I can think of to describe Room.  I absolutely loved this book!  I couldn't put it down and I could not stop talking and thinking about Room

This story is told in the voice of a five-year-old boy named Jack.  He is an innocent, precious little boy.  Jack begins by outlining his daily activities.  His routine seems to be just like any other five-year-old.  However, I got the feeling that something was wrong.  I was intrigued and I couldn't wait to find out what was going on.  The mysterious feel of this novel kept me eagerly turning every page.  I began to piece together the various clues in my mind.  "Maybe it could be this or that," I would think.  When the details were unveiled, I was horrified.

The story of Jack and Ma testifies to human resilience.  A person's determination to survive and even thrive in the worst circumstances is truly inspiring.  Even though Room is a work of fiction, many people have found themselves in the same gruesome situation.  The setting of this novel almost seems to be taken directly from news headlines.

Even though all readers will enjoy this book, I think mothers will especially be touched by this story. One of the highlights of this book is the relationship between a mother and child. The character of Ma shows how a good mother will protect and nourish her child regardless of the world around them.

Although this book has a happy ending, it was more than that.  Halfway through the book, I kept wondering where the author was going with this story.  I thought it was over and there was no more story to tell.  I was very wrong.  I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Room is available in paperback at www.thequalitycorner.com.


1 comment:

Italia said...

This is truly an amazing read. I had never read any of Emma Donohgue's books before & was convinced to read this from a friend of mine & I am so glad I did. I thought it was going to be an awful book when I read the first few lines but I became addicted very quick! Soon I had to spend hours reading it because I was getting so into the book! It is just shocking how this book can be talking about such a horrible situation but have an innocence that comes with the fact that is spoken through Jacks eyes.