Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Food Rules" by Michael Pollan

What should I eat?  What kind of food should I eat?  How should I eat?  These are questions we all face daily.  It has become increasingly difficult to find the answers.  Michael Pollan addresses these questions in his book, Food Rules.

Pollan has developed a concise list of rules to live by when it comes to eating.  He has created an "eater's manual."  In the introduction he explains why eating has become so difficult.  He admonishes the reader to take the time to make wise choices about food.  He also provides statistics that highlight the importance of taking our health seriously.  The introduction really whet my appetite for the rules that followed.

The book was very easy to read and even comical at times.  I found myself chuckling at the simplicity of the rules.  Eating is needlessly complicated nowadays.  If we get back to the basics, we can take control of our diet and our health.  The rules that stuck with me the most were regarding processed foods.  Rule #2 - "Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."  I love that!  It's so simple yet profound.  It all boils down to three basic rules - eat food, mostly plants, and not too much.

As a result of reading this book, I have created my own personal list of food rules.  This book has changed the way I think about food.  I believe that I will be a healthier person after reading this book and I am very grateful.

No comments: