Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Oprah Magazine's Summer Reading List

Even though the Oprah Winfrey Show had its season finale almost two months ago, Oprah's influence is as strong as ever.  With O Magazine and OWN, Oprah is still able to touch the lives of many.  I was very sad to see the show go, but I have enjoyed watching the shows on OWN and reading the magazine. 

I have a great deal of respect for Oprah and that is why I chose to build a portion of my business around her.  I appreciate the contributions she has made toward literacy and I support that.  I recently heard a staggering statistic - 1 in 5 adults worldwide cannot read.  That is horrible!  If we can improve literacy, lives will improve drastically. 

In my store, I have always featured books from Oprah's book club and books that were discussed on her show.  Now that the show is over, I have decided to feature books from O Magazine.  My store now contains a new category - "Oprah Magazine's Reading Room."  Each month O Magazine  recommends a list of books.  In the July issue, O Magazine recommends several titles for summer reading.  Here they are:

Conquistadora by Esmeralda Santiago
A Small Hotel by Robert Olen Butler
Untold Story by Monica Ali
The Man in the Rockefeller Suit by Mark Seal
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano
The Astral by Kate Christensen
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai
Sister by Rosamund Lupton
The Year We left Home by Jean Thompson
Big Machine by Victor Lavalle
Someday This Will Be Funny by Lynne Tillman

All of these titles are available at The Quality Corner.  Click the link above to read a synopsis of the book and purchase it.  Visit www.TheQualityCorner.com every month for new titles from O Magazine's Reading Room.











































No comments: