Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates


A young couple with two children living in the suburbs. Life is good, or is it? To look at this couple from across the street, one might think that they have the perfect life. He has a good job in the city. She stays home and takes care of their lovely home. Life is not always what it appears to be.

Inside this home is a couple that suffers from discontent, discord, and disunity. The life that they are living is not the one they want. They both want more.

As I read this book, I couldn’t help but ask – why would they want more? Sure, the life they were leading was not the one they intended to have. Life doesn’t always turn out the way we want it. However, if it turns out well, why can’t we just be happy? Truly, one of the keys to happiness in life is contentment. This couple sorely lacked that key.

I must admit that I did enjoy the story. I was always wondering what would happen next. I usually favor feel-good stories. This story did not make me feel good. It was a sad story. However, it made me count my blessings and to focus on inner contentment.

No comments: